Rev. Beth's Letter - December 12, 2020
December 12, 2020
Christmas Eve Services at St. John’s
We want you to be able to attend church on Christmas Eve, December 24th. We will have two services that day -- 4:30 pm and 7:00 pm.
COVID restrictions allow us to accommodate 50 people per service. If you want to attend a service, you will need to register ahead of time using the church email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line write “Christmas Eve Service.” Then list the names of those who will be attending, your telephone number and the time of service you want to attend (4:30 or 7:00). Registration is open until Wednesday December 23rd. It will be wonderful to celebrate Christmas with you.
There are a number of Anglican Christmas Eve Services in the area.
- Christ Church will have services at 5:30 and 8:00 pm with Archdeacon Joan Locke.
- St. Brice’s will have their services at 2:00 pm, 7:00 pm and 9:30 pm on Christmas Eve and a Christmas Day service at 11:00 am with Rev. Peter Armstrong.
- The Base will have a Christmas Eve service at 4:00 pm with Rev. Grant Churcher.
Transitions and Change: It was on October 18th that I announced that I would be retiring from parish ministry on December 31st. For more information do read the letter posted on the church website on October 20th. Our Scripture passage from Proverbs gives us direction on how to manage transitions and change. Trust in the Lord…. and he will show you which path to take.
In late November Archdeacon Joan met with the wardens to discuss the transition of leadership and responsibilities. Change is an opportunity and a challenge. We are never quite sure how everything will turn out. Emotions are “topsy turvy”! Even though some of us may embrace the change as an opportunity, there is a deep sadness in leaving what has been a fruitful, spirit-filled and joyful relationship. Some decisions are right but don’t always feel good.
Here are some facts:
- Rev. Grant and Rev. Grahame will cover the worship services until Easter.
- Christine Brush will organize the music and assist with pastoral care needs.
- Dawn Clarke with back up from Irv Dyck will ensure there is a Sunday bulletin.
- Archdeacon Joan is responsible for the administration and management of the church
- The church will close after the Christmas Eve Services. Worship services will resume Sunday January 17th, 2021.
You need to be aware of the Diocesan Policy for Outgoing Incumbents. When an incumbent leaves their post, they do not have contact with the church or congregation for two years.
The two years gives time for the congregation and the outgoing incumbent to grieve their loss. There is sadness in ending the relationship, and time is needed to feel that sadness and then settle into the new situation and establish a “new normal.”
When the new incumbent is installed, it is important that they have an opportunity to establish themselves without the past incumbent being present. It gives you – the parishioners – an opportunity to establish a relationship with the new incumbent.
A Gift from Christ Church: Linda Langdon has produced a beautiful Christmas Concert COVID Style Click here to enjoy.
Archbishop’s Advent letter: Even in the midst of a pandemic, Advent and Christmas are pillars of our church year that are constant. Click here to read the Archbishop’s letter.
Diocesan Service of Hope: This service is offered on line on Sunday, December 13th at 2:00 pm. Our Johanna Kristolaitis and daughter Phoebe are taking part in the service. Further information will be posted on the diocesan website.
Food Shelf: Do bring your gifts on Wednesdays from 10:00 to 11:00am. The grocery list includes:
- powdered milk, pork and beans, instant coffee
Please keep this letter handy, and remember to register for a Christmas Eve Service!
Your Sister in Christ,